This virgin strawberry mojito is done within minutes and one of my favorite refreshing drink to enjoy on a hot day. It's a perfect blend between sweet strawberries, zesty lime and fresh minty flavors... everything you need in a glass to get you in a summer mood!
Oh hey there. If you know me, then you know that I do enjoy my 5 o'clock glass of wine very much, so why posting a non-alcoholic mojito on my blog?
The thing is that I did challenge myself to drink alcohol less often a while back. Not that I ever did drink it a lot, but I have been trying to skip days or go through whole weeks without alcohol and try to stop the bad circle of dreaming for 5 o'clock to come faster.
And I realized that to do that successfully, I needed a spectacular drink to replace the said glass of wine. Something sparkly, colorful, zesty...something that's just so darn satisfying. That also looks great in my hand. And not so many drinks can do a better job at cheering me up than a good fruity mojito!
And you know what? Not everyone drinks alcohol. I have been surrounded by pregnant friends or simply people that won't drink anymore and it's really nice to be able to offer them a killer drink, ya see. Either at Holiday parties, New year celebration or summer BBQs, it's fun to have a festive looking bubbly drink that everyone can enjoy, including kids.
And you never know, the whole process of preparing this non alcoholic drink and then slowly sipping on it might actually have a better relaxing effect than alcohol itself! Worth trying it.
Classic mojito VS Virgin mojito
A classic mojito is a popular Cuban drink made out of rum, lime juice, fresh mint, sugar and club soda. The sugar, lime juice and fresh mint are simply muddled into a glass, then the fizzy club soda and rum are poured over.
A virgin mojito can be made just the same way simply by omitting the rum. I added fresh strawberries to my version to add a fun twist and bring some more summery flavors. And especially without the alcohol, I feel like the strawberries add lots of flavors and character.
This recipe also is a little healthier: there is no granulated sugar and you won't need any simple syrup to make it. When the strawberries are in season and at their peak sweetness, then you might not need any added sweetener. But, I usually love to add a splash of maple syrup to mine. Traditional Mojito use sugar when muddling with the fruits, so feel free to do this as well.
Ingredients you'll need to make this virgin strawberry mojito drink
- Fresh lime: not the bottled juice!
- Fresh strawberries: better during berry season, but you can adjust the flavor by adding a sweetener if the fruits were not sweet enough.
- Fresh mint
- Seltzer: I love to use this Italian sparkling water to make my virgin mojito, but you can use any seltzer you like. Try making it with lime flavored sparkling water too.
- Optional: sweetener (I like maple syrup)
I also recommend using these:
- A tall glass (I used these 16 oz glass)
- A muddler to crush the ingredients, although not essential.
- A tall stirring spoon, again, not essential.
- Ice cubes are great at making your drink extra refreshing too.
How to make a strawberry mojito mocktail
This drink is so easy to prepare and makes for a great single-portion refreshing summer beverage that's done within minutes.
- In a large glass, add the strawberries, lime juice and mint leaves (with the maple syrup, if using). Then, using a muddle, crush the ingredients slightly to get their juice out.
- Then, add ice cubes almost to the top and pour over the seltzer. Stir and taste to adjust the flavor if needed.
Watch how to make it
Tips when making this drink
- If you don't have a muddler, then you can still make this drink! Simply use a wooden spoon or a spatula to crush the ingredients.
- When crushing the mint, you want to get the oil and flavor out without break the herb in small pieces (it's just more pleasant to drink that way). So, be gentle when muddling.
- This recipe is not an exact one. I actually often add the ingredients without measuring them, but you can follow the recipe below to give you a good start and adjust to your taste. Craft your own strawberry mojito mocktail!
How to make this drink for a crowd
You can easily triple-quadruple (or more!) this recipe and prepare it in a pitcher to serve more than one person. You will have to stir carefully before pouring so the fruits/herbs distribute nicely in between the drinks. Also, fill the glasses with ice cubes just before serving, instead of in the pitcher, so it does not dilute the mojito if there is a delay between making the drink and serving.
Can I prepare this virgin strawberry mojito ahead
If you are preparing this virgin mojito for a gathering event, then you might want to make it ahead. I would recommend to make it no more than 2-3 hours before serving as the fruits and mint might not look very fresh for longer than that. Also, be sure not to add the ice cubes until ready to serve to avoid diluting the drink.
Variation to the recipe
- Make it spicy: add some jalapeño to the mix and muddle the slices gently for a good kick to your drink.
- Make it more fruity: you can add all sorts of fruit to this strawberry mojito, like peaches, raspberries, blackberries and so much more. Try out other flavors, you really cannot go wrong!
- Make it super fresh: you can try adding slices of cucumber and very gently muddle them as well. It will go so well with the lime and mint flavor.
- Make it creamy: if you happen to have extra coconut milk in the fridge, then add a splash for a fun creamy version.
Other refreshing non-alcoholic drinks you might like
- Chia seed tea
- Peach sweet tea
- Ginger turmeric glowing juice
- Dragon fruit lemonade
- Pineapple slush
- Strawberry acai lemonade refresher
- Cranberry orange mocktail
Other strawberry recipes
- Strawberry muffins
- Strawberry and chocolate bars
- Vegan strawberry trifle
- Strawberry almond milk
- Strawberry baked oatmeal
- Barley breakfast bowl
I hope you enjoy this virgin strawberry mojito as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was. Your feedback is so helpful!
Virgin Strawberry Mojito (Mocktail)
- ½ cup fresh strawberries (2-4) - sliced
- 10-12 fresh mint leaves
- 1 lime - juiced
- ½ tbsp sweetener to taste - optional
- ice cubes - for serving
- soda water or seltzer - I used about 1 - 1 ½ cup
- In a glass (at least 16 oz), add the strawberries, mint, lime juice and sweetener, if using. Then, using a muddler, crush the ingredients to help them release their juice and oil (avoid crushing the mint so small so it is more pleasant to drink).
- Then, fill the glass with ice cubes and top with seltzer. Stir and enjoy!
- If you don't have a muddler, then you can simply crush the ingredients using a wooden spoon or a spatula.