This chilly minty watermelon salad is all I want to eat these days. Sweet and juicy melon combines so well with mint: you will feel refreshed instantly. And how about including a feta-like oil free marinated tofu? So delicious! Make the tofu ahead to get all the flavors locked in and prepare the salad whenever you are ready to eat it. It sure will impress your BBQ guests.
Did I say how easy this watermelon salad is to make?
You will need to prepare a tofu marinade and let the tofu soak for a few hours or overnight, but otherwise, this salad comes together in about 10 minutes:
– Chop the watermelon and cucumber in cubes about the same size than you did for the tofu.
– Mince the mint and juice a lemon.
– Mix everything together gently. Then salt and pepper to taste.
This salad is better cold to get a crisp effect, especially on a hot day. Keep the marinated tofu, watermelon and cucumber in the fridge until you are ready to prepare the salad. The leftovers will be good for a day in the fridge.
Tips on how to make the tofu-feta:
– Start by mixing the marinade ingredients together. You will use fresh lemon juice to get that tangy taste and a few spices (oregano, nutritional yeast and garlic powder) to transform the taste-less tofu into a savory deliciousness.
– Regular feta is really salty. We won’t make the tofu as high in sodium, but add enough salt to get a good savory taste. You will also add some more (kosher or flaky if you can) to the final salad, so just be careful not to oversalt the tofu at this point.
– Its best to marinate the tofu overnight to really push the flavor into it. Make it the day before you plan on eating the salad: it will not only boost the aromas, but also make the salad making process much faster the day you need it.
This watermelon salad is easy to adjust to your taste. Try adding a few thinly sliced red onions to bring a good bite to it or cubed avocado for some added creaminess. Not a fan of mint? This salad is equally delicious with fresh basil instead of mint. In this case, be sure to also add a balsamic vinegar drizzle when serving!
Are you in need for more refreshing recipes? Check out my Bean salad with chili lime dressing or this delicious Creamy dill chickpea salad to get a dose of summer in a bowl.
Watermelon salad with fresh mint and oil-free tofu-feta
For the tofu feta:
- 454g. extra firm tofu patted dry
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 3 tbsp)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1/2 mini seedless watermelon (about 4 cups) cubed
- 1 english cucumber cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced or more
- 1/2 lemon, zested or more
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Start by making the no-oil tofu-feta:
- Cut the tofu in small cubes.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- In a shallow bowl or a sealing plastic bag, combine the tofu and marinade together. Make sure all the tofu cubes are soaking in the marinade.
- Marinade in the fridge for at least 4 hours, best overnight.
Make the salad:
- Cube the watermelon and cucumber. Mince the mint.
- In a large bowl, combine the marinated tofu (with the marinade!), watermelon, cucumber and mint. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and black pepper to taste. Mix gently. Enjoy!