This watermelon banana smoothie is SO creamy and refreshing. It makes for an easy, vegan and healthy light breakfast or energizing post-workout snack.
Witnessing the obsession of my daughter for watermelon inspired me to create this smoothie. She is only 2, but has quite the love affair for the fruit.
I have to say that I have a weakness for the juicy melon flesh myself. In the summer, I make this watermelon cucumber salad quite often, but even the simplest generous slice of watermelon is a true satisfaction.
And including watermelon in smoothies is my newest favorite discovery. Since it contains 92% of water, watermelon is a great base to prepare drinks by providing volume after blended. Using watermelon in smoothies brings incredible freshness and makes you feel totally revitalized.
So, next time you feel under the weather, need to cool down on a hot day or are looking for a fun way to rehydrate post work-out, then make yourself a watermelon smoothie, sit back and enjoy the treat!
Ingredients for watermelon banana smoothie
- Fresh watermelon. Watermelon is so fresh with a light sweet flavor, SO delicious in smoothies and makes them especially hydrating and refreshing. I use fresh fruit, but you could also use frozen for an extra cold smoothie.
- Banana. Bananas are key to make this smoothie rich and creamy. They also add natural sweetness.
- Vegan yogurt. Watermelon contains so much water! Using yogurt helps create a thicker and richer consistency. I love the slight tang it also adds.
- Vanilla extract. For a sweet and slightly perfumed touch.
- Ice cubes. It makes the smoothie nice and cold.
- Maple syrup. Depending on the type of yogurt you use and how ripe your bananas are, you might want to add a hint of sweetener, like maple syrup.
Making this smoothie is super simple, just as it is for most smoothies. Everything is blended together until smooth. Taste, adjust the sweetness and serve cold. Sip and enjoy the refreshment!
What makes this smoothie so creamy
Don't worry, incorporating watermelon in this smoothie won't make it watery at all! The banana partners with the creamy yogurt to counterbalance the water content of the watermelon. You will end up taking advantage of all of the freshness from the watermelon, but in a creamy consistency.
Watch how to make it
Variation to this watermelon banana smoothie recipe
Feel free to customize this recipe as smoothies are so flexible in terms of ingredients. But here are some other great ideas:
- Add a zesty flavor. Watermelon goes really well with citrusy flavors, so don't hesitate to add a good squeeze of lemon or lime juice to the blender.
- Add fresh herbs. Fresh mint or basil would be bliss in this fresh drink.
- Make it even colder. I usually use fresh melon to make this smoothie and add ice cubes to make it extra cold, but you could also chop and freeze the watermelon before adding it to the blender. If doing so, then you might need to add a splash of vegan milk to get the blades going.
- Add more fruit. Berries, kiwi or pineapple would be delicious included in this smoothie.
- Make it even creamier. If you have some coconut milk on hand, then go ahead and add a few tbsp. It will not only create a richer smoothie, but also get an extra tropical vibe.
How to make this smoothie more filling
I usually combine smoothies with toast or oatmeal in the morning, but if you are planning on enjoying this smoothie alone for breakfast, then you can add a few things to avoid being hungry too quickly. Additions like chia seeds, hemp seeds, a small handful of oats, nuts or even protein powder would help keep hunger away longer. If adding many ingredients, then you might need to add some vegan milk to help blend the smoothie.
Other smoothie recipes you might like
- Vanilla chai latte smoothie
- Blackberry zucchini smoothie
- Oat milk smoothie
- Banana chocolate milkshake
- Peach oatmeal smoothie bowl
- Coconut milkshake
- Blueberry Pineapple Galaxy Smoothie
- Pineapple slush
- Banana carrot smoothie
- Strawberry, chocolate and banana smoothie
- Avocado peanut butter smoothie
I hope you enjoy this watermelon smoothie as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was. Your feedback is so helpful!
Watermelon Banana Smoothie
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 1 cup fresh watermelon - cubed
- ½ cup vegan plain yogurt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½-1 tbsp maple syrup - or to taste
- ½ cup ice - or to taste
- Start by blending the banana, watermelon, yogurt, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Blend until very smooth.
- Once smooth, then add the ice cubes and blend again until the ice is crushed. Taste and adjust the sweetness.
- Serve right away.