This strawberry, chocolate and banana smoothie makes for a delicious refreshing drink that's filled with rich flavor and amazingly creamy. It is nicely sweetened, very chocolatey and made with good-for-you ingredients. Perfect for a quick breakfast on busy mornings or post workout satisfying snack. Everyone will love it, kids and adults!
This one is for all the chocolate lovers! This healthy vegan smoothie is only made with wholesome ingredients and fiber-packed BUT also, it's like drinking chocolate! A nice thick and fruity chocolate drink.
Using raw cacao powder keeps this recipe nutrient-dense, thanks to its high level of antioxidants. And when combined with naturally sweetened fruits, the cacao powder turns the shake into a dark chocolate flavored fruit drink.
Made without any dairy or yogurt for a vegan lighter version, I also recommend to use frozen fruits straight from the freezer to make it more convenient but also, to help the smoothie be extra chilled and thick. The perfect recipe for a light, but fulfilling breakfast or satisfying snack. With classic matching flavors of strawberries + bananas + chocolate, there is just no going wrong. And kids love it!
There is so much to love about this smoothie! It might remind you of a chocolate milkshake that also features fruity flavors. You can make it to go, pour in a tall mug and sip on it on your way to work.
This chocolate fruit smoothie is:
- Made extra healthy and very versatile
- Thick, creamy and feels rich
- Great for breakfast or post workout snack
- Quick, ridiculously easy to make and done under 5 minutes
- Super simple and requires only 6 ingredients
Ingredients you'll need
- Frozen bananas: this dairy-free smoothie uses frozen fruits to create a texture that's thicker and creamier, similar to if you added ice cream. Overripe bananas will also help sweeten your smoothie naturally.
- Strawberries: use fresh or frozen, although frozen will make your smoothie colder and thicker.
- Raw cacao powder: brings the intense chocolate flavor. Choose cacao instead of cocoa if possible (cacao is less processed), although both kinds will work.
- Hemp seeds: they add extra protein and healthy omega-3 fats (read more about the health benefit of hemp seeds here), but also, they blend easily within the liquid to form a very creamy consistency.
- Vanilla extract: to boost the flavor, also pairs well with the chocolate.
- Plant-based milk: almond or oat milk will work well or simply use your favorite kind.
- Optional sweetener: depending on how sweet the bananas and strawberries are, you might need to add extra sweetener. Maple syrup or agave are good choices, but also add 1-2 medjool dates.
How to make it
Add all the ingredients to a blender: fruit, cacao powder, hemp seeds, milk and vanilla extract. You can first omit the sweetener and see if you need it after a taste test.
Blend on high until uniform. You need to blend long enough so the texture is super smooth, but not for too long as it could warm up the drink. Start with about 30-60 seconds, scrape the walls and blend again. Taste and add sweetener if necessary.
Pour in 1-2 glasses and decorate with straws and fresh strawberries. Enjoy right away.
Watch how to make it
- Using frozen fruits can make a big difference in the overall texture. You can let your bananas ripen on the counter and then freeze for later usage. Simply peel the overripe bananas, then freeze on a parchment paper covered baking sheet for a few hours. Transfer in large bags/container for longer storage. Do the same if buying fresh strawberries (I simply buy the strawberries already frozen).
- A high-speed blender will make your smoothie amazingly smooth, creamy and rich. I know they are more expensive, but if considering buying one, check for the refurbished ones as you can save a lot that way. My Vitamix definitively changed my whole vegan cooking game and I recommend it to anyone serious with healthy eating.
- Adjust liquid as needed. Blending frozen fruits will create a thicker smoothie, so you might need to add more or less plant-based milk to make it to your desired consistency. If using fresh fruits instead of frozen, then start with less liquid.
- Pack it with veggies: add some spinach, kale or even zucchini (fresh or frozen). They won't change the flavor profile much and the color will likely remain very chocolatey-looking too.
- Boost it with protein: add some more hemp seeds or include chia seeds as well. If you have some plant-based protein powder, then add a scoop! Vanilla or chocolate flavored ones would work best.
- Make it richer: to boost its creaminess, then add some peanut or almond butter (or pumpkin seed butter to keep it nut-free). This will add extra protein, but also more healthy fats as well. I often add some when making smoothies to my fast growing kids.
How to make a strawberry chocolate smoothie without bananas
The frozen bananas add so much creaminess, but also a natural sweet flavor. If you don't want to use them, then try to replace with something that will provide richness too, like avocado, frozen mango or coconut yogurt.
When omitting bananas, you might also need to balance the sweetness by adding some dates or an extra splash of maple syrup. You can also consider adding a few ice cubes to make your smoothie colder if omitting the frozen bananas, although this will dilute the flavors of your drink.
Other healthy smoothie recipes you might like
- Banana carrot smoothie
- Zucchini blackberry smoothie
- Peach oatmeal smoothie bowl
- Oat milk smoothie
- Watermelon banana smoothie
- Blueberry pineapple galaxy smoothie
- Strawberry banana smoothie bowl
- Avocado peanut butter smoothie
- Peach pineapple smoothie
- Raspberry and blueberry smoothie
I hope you like this strawberry, chocolate and banana smoothie as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was.
Let's stay in touch with Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Also, don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to be sure not to miss anything.
Chocolate, Strawberry and Banana smoothie
- 1 frozen banana - sliced
- 1 cup frozen strawberries - fresh works too
- 1½ tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1½ cup plant-based milk - such as almond or oat milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar - optional
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until uniform and smooth. Omit the sweetener at first and taste to see if needed (this will depend on how sweet your fruits are).
- Pour into a glass and garnish with more strawberries and a straw if desired. Enjoy while still cold.
- Cocoa powder will work too, although more processed than cacao.
- It is essential to use frozen bananas if looking for a super creamy smoothie.
- If you only have fresh strawberries, then try to plan ahead and freeze them first for a few hours. This will create a super thick and chilled drink. You could also add a few ice cubes to make your drink colder, although this will dilute the flavor.
Leave a Reply