This vegan blackberry zucchini smoothie is unique in flavor and easy to make. It's the perfect quick breakfast you need for busy mornings, but also a delicious healthy snack to help you fight against the low energy afternoon.
I go through phases with the whole smoothie trend. I will make them almost every morning for a while, but will then forget about them and make overnight oatmeals over and over again. It might be a seasonal influence or my kids that suddenly start screaming "smoothies!!!" at me on a sleepy morning to bring me back in the smoothie vibe. Who knows.
I also got into the habit of having a smoothie for breakfast during both my pregnancies. It was clear that with all the morning sicknesses and being super busy in the morning was not going to make me want to eat a big solid meal. I would simply whip up a smoothie with whatever I had on hand and would grab it to go to work. So I am comfortable to say that I experienced quite a bit in the smoothie department.
And NO! Not all smoothies are good. Let's just say that I learned a lot from my kitchen experiments.
What got me into the idea of using both blackberries and zucchini for a smoothie was recently when I was looking at my garden. It was bursting with loads of tiny zucchinis still growing and I started to get anxious about it. I nurture these lovely plants all through summer and then boom! They all come out at the same time.
I also remembered this amazing looking Wild blueberry zucchini smoothie recipe and thought I would give the zucchini-in-the-smoothie a try, but with my own touch. And the result is simply amazing!
I hear you. Blackberry + zucchini is a bit of a funny match. But, you won't taste the zucchini in there and it will help reach that delicious creamy and thick texture.
And as you might know, I love hiding veggies in my food! Pasta sauces, salad dressings, soups, breakfast oatmeal bowls, and of course, smoothies. For my kids and for me too, just to get that extra boost in nutrients without noticing it too much.
What you will need to make this blackberry zucchini smoothie
On top of the blackberries and zucchini, you will also add a banana to help sweeten the smoothie naturally and get an extra silky texture.
Add a few medjool dates to sweeten your smoothie even more (it will depends on how sweet your blackberries are).
I love adding a hint of cinnamon in this smoothie, it pairs so well with the blackberries.
Also, to help make this smoothie even creamier, add a small amount of almond butter. This makes it more filling too. And don't forget to add a few ice cubes if you love your smoothies very cold!
Customize this recipe
- Boost the protein: Add hemp seeds or chia seeds to the blender.
- Make it even creamier: Add some vegan yogurt. If this makes your smoothie too tangy, then add more medjool dates or a hint of maple syrup.
- Use frozen fruits: You can use either use frozen blackberries or frozen bananas. This will make your smoothie thicker, but extra refreshing. Keep it super thick and eat it like ice cream!
I hope you will love this smoothie as much as I do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was.
Other smoothie recipes you might like
- Oat milk mango smoothie
- Vanilla chai smoothie
- Banana chocolate milkshake
- Watermelon banana smoothie
- Peach oatmeal smoothie bowl
- Blueberry pineapple galaxy smoothie
- Banana carrot smoothie
Blackberry zucchini smoothie
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 large banana
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2-4 medjool dates - pitted
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter) - unsweetened
- ½ cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until the mixture is very smooth.
- Adjust the amount of medjool dates you need to sweeten your smoothie to your taste (will also depend on how sweet your blackberries are)
- Serve immediately.