This ultra simple tofu sour cream makes for such a great dairy-free alternative. It is flavorful + just perfectly tangy, silky in texture, fully plant-based and high-in-protein. Done in 5 minutes and amazing over tacos, enchiladas, with nachos, potatoes and so much more.
If you are a sour cream lover like me, then you have got to try this recipe!
The nice punch of tang, silky texture, rich mouthfeel, cold crisp white amazingness: everything you love about sour cream is in this vegan version!
I made this plant-based sour cream in a similar way that I made my tofu cream cheese using tofu, but you will have to use soft silken tofu for this one, which is super easy to find anywhere. I love using tofu to boost the sour cream with lots of plant-based protein to help you feel full longer, plus it makes this recipe completely nut-free (no cashews!) and dairy-free, yet ultra creamy.
Also, silken tofu already provides a great texture to make a sour cream, it is such a perfect base for this recipe. All you have to do is to blend it to a velvety consistency with a few simple flavorful additions.
You can easily whip up a batch within 5 minutes for a last minute sour cream craving, although I recommend making it ahead to chill it nicely and give all those tangy flavors enough time to intensify.
We used this recipe to make vegan twice baked potatoes and wow it was so delicious, I highly recommend trying them. You can use this vegan sour cream anywhere you would use a regular one, such as over tacos, in burritos, over stuffed baked potatoes, bean chili, with nachos and so much more. It also makes for an amazing base for all sort of sauces and dips.
This tofu sour cream is a basic plant-based must-know recipe for everyone! Hope you give it a try! ❤️
What you will love about this recipe
- Easy and quick
- Healthy and made without added oil
- Flavorful and nicely tangy
- Super creamy and light
- 100% dairy-free, plant-based, nut-free and gluten-free
What you'll need to make this recipe
- Silken tofu: you will need 12 oz of silken tofu. I used the firm silken tofu from the brand Mori-Nu, which you can find in the Asian section (not in the fridge section). The silken tofu in the fridge usually comes in 16 oz, which will work too, although you will have to add a little more flavoring ingredients to keep the ratios right.
- Lemon juice: freshly squeezed lemon juice is what you will need, don't use the one in the bottle if you can for best flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar: to add a little more tangy flavor. Add more for an extra sour flavor.
- Salt: add salt to taste, I used ½ teaspoon.
- Garlic powder: this is optional, but it adds some extra flavor to this recipe. Just omit if you don't want any garlicky flavor, especially if you are planning to use in a recipe that isn’t savory.
How to make a tofu sour cream
Add all the ingredients to a blender (or a food processor) and blend until super creamy. Take a few breaks to scrape the walls until there are no lumps visible anymore.
Taste and adjust
Taste the sour cream and adjust flavoring ingredients to your liking. Transfer to a storing container and place in the fridge until ready to use.
Watch how to make it
- I highly recommend allowing the tofu sour cream to chill in the fridge for a few hours, even better overnight, before serving. Not only will the flavors get better, but also, the sour cream will firm up as it cools down.
- The secret for best result really is to taste and adjust the ingredients. You might prefer tangier vs a smoother in flavor sour cream, maybe you don't want garlic flavor, etc. So start with less flavoring and add more until you find the right amount for what you want.
- There are different kinds of silken tofu (just the same as there are different kind of firm tofu), such as extra firm, firm and soft. They all are soft and turn to a sauce easily when blended, with some kinds being a little softer than others. For a firmer sour cream, then look for the extra-firm silken tofu.
- If you cannot find any silken tofu, then try making it with regular firm tofu and add enough water or plain plant-based milk until desired consistency. The sour cream might end up being chunkier though.
- Do not press the silken tofu!
- This recipe use mostly pantry ingredients (other than the fresh lemon). Even the silken tofu that I recommend for this recipe is shelf stable. So I recommend to always keep those few ingredients in your pantry so you can make sour cream any time within 5 min.
Customization and serving suggestions
Our favorite way to enjoy this sour cream simply is over baked potatoes with bacon bits and green onions. The high-protein content of this sour cream can turn simple baked potatoes into a filling complete meal!
This plain sour cream is such a perfect recipe to use as a base to make different dairy-free creamy sauces! Here are a few ideas:
- Similarly to this chipotle mayo, add 1-2 peppers from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce if serving over tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc.
- Add a generous handful of chopped fresh herbs and use over buddha bowls.
- Add a crushed fresh clove of garlic, mint, dill and shredded cucumber for a speedy tofu tzatziki sauce.
- Dollop a few spoonfuls to a gravy, stroganoff sauces or in soups and stir to combine. This will add so much creaminess!
- Blend in more garlic powder and a few dried spices, such as dill, parley and powdered onion for a ranch style sauce.
- Cheesy sour cream dip: add some nutritional yeast to taste to make a cheesier version! Perfect for tacos and nachos.
This vegan sour cream stores very well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days. It makes for the perfect creamy sauce to meal-prep ahead and use over many dishes during the week to add protein and an extra layer of texture.
More tofu recipes you might like
- Tofu cream cheese
- Tofu scramble breakfast sandwich
- Balsamic tofu
- Baked tofu nuggets
- Silken tofu scramble
- Vegan tofu egg bites
- Tofu buddha bowl
- Bok choy tofu stir fry
- Cajun pasta
- Vegan tofu rice paper rolls
More delicious plant-based sauce recipes to master
- Cashew mayo
- Vegan creamy pesto sauce
- Chipotle mayo
- Green goddess herb sauce
- Vegan queso sauce
- Vegan avocado lime crema
I hope you like this tofu sour cream as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was. Your feedback is so helpful!
Vegan Tofu Sour Cream
- 12 oz silken tofu
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅛-¼ tsp garlic powder - optional
- ½ tsp salt - or to taste
- To a blender, add the silken tofu, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder (start with ⅛ tsp) and salt. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Keep the sour cream in an air-tight container for up to 5-7 days. Do not freeze.
- If planning on using this sour cream in a sweet recipe, then omit the garlic powder.