This vegan creamy pesto sauce is so delicious that I want to pour it on just about everything! And it’s so easy to make: everything goes in the blender and the sauce is ready within 5 minutes. It is so perfect poured over pasta and rice bowls or used to top roasted tofu.
I have a very close relationship with my blender. It sounds a little odd mentioned like that, I admit it. But really, I use this machine at least once a day. My huge blender takes half the space on my counter, but that’s fine. I like it right there, always available.
People sometimes ask me with a stunned face: “but, how can you use a blender e-v-e-r-y-d-a-y? “Hum. I don’t really know! It just happens!” Is what I often say.
Ok, I suspect that you might not be that absorbed with this blender talk. But, my point is that I just love to blend food. Vegetable pasta sauces, dressings, creamy soups: it seems like there is always good use for our blender!
This is how this sauce started: I was simply going to make a quick pesto and then I lost track of my initial plan and I blended the whole thing. The results was a creamy, thick, zesty and extra fresh bright green mixture, yum! It was so good that I had to share with you guys!
This healthy and vegan creamy green sauce is now one of my favorite sauces to prepare. I make this chimichurri sauce or this vegan ranch dressing when I feel like a vinegary and garlicky mixture of herbs to really spice up a meal. But, this creamy pesto sauce is what I go for when I need a smooth and fresh sauce. It really adds tons of flavors and an eye catching color to so many dishes. And it is easy peasy to make!
I like to prepare it ahead and keep it in the fridge. Then, preparing my lunches during a busy week becomes easier. And tastier.
Key ingredients you will need to make this vegan creamy pesto sauce:
– Fresh basil: This fresh herb is the star of this dressing and is leading the taste with its distinctively strong and pungent aroma.
– Baby spinach: Bright spinach mixes so well with the other ingredients of this sauce. It doesn’t even taste spinach at all! The fact is that I even made this sauce replacing all the basil with more spinach and it was still so good.
– Nutritional yeast: Typical pesto contains a big load of parmesan cheese, which makes it hard to believe that this pesto like sauce can be delicious without it. The nutritional yeast adds that cheesy subtle taste that makes this sauce so addictive.
– Cashews: This oil free pesto sauce is saved by the rich blended cashews, so you don’t miss on the creamy texture.
How to use this vegan creamy pesto sauce
This sauce is very versatile and can be combined with so many meals.
- Rice bowl topping: Simply combine this creamy dressing with brown rice, beans and vegetables.
- Sauce for sandwiches or burger: Its thick texture is perfect to spread on bread when making a sandwich. Combines well with roasted tofu or vegetable sandwiches and bean burgers.
- Vinaigrette for salads: This sauce makes for a perfect oil free vinaigrette. I find this vinaigrette to work better with crisp lettuce like romaine.
- Dressing for roasted vegetables: Pour this sauce over roasted vegetables to brighten them up.
- Pasta sauce: Use this creamy pesto-like sauce for pasta! It tastes close to regular pesto, but in a creamier texture, so good!
Customize this sauce to your taste
You can easily swap some of the ingredients to make your own version!
Basil is widely available during summer, but in the winter, make this sauce by replacing the basil with more spinach. It won’t taste like a pesto sauce anymore, but the other ingredients will keep this sauce very flavorful.
You can also swap the basil with different fresh herbs, like parsley, dill or cilantro.
If you like spicy food, add some fresh jalapeño to the blender.
Other creamy sauces you might like:
I hope you will love creamy pesto sauce as much as I do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was.
Vegan Creamy Pesto Sauce
- 2/3 cup raw cashew
- 2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 medium size clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritionnal yeast
- 1- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Boil the cashews in water for about 10 minutes. This will help reach a very smooth sauce. Drain.
- Transfer the cashews with all the other ingredients in a blender and blend until very smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Pour over warm pasta, eat cold as a salad or vegetable dressing or spread in sandwiches.
- Keep in a air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.