This vegan lentil stuffed potato is very easy to make and so satisfying. It combines a simple baked potato layered with a healthy and flavorful lentil tomato stew. Top it with a vegan cheeze sauce to make it extra decadent.
Why you should eat more stuffed potatoes:
– So easy to make: These are perfect for weekday dinners. When you have more free time: pre-cook few potatoes (or sweet potatoes!), prepare one or two tasty fillings with a few toppings options and you will have fun meals ready to go during your busy week.
– Versatile: No need to be a chef, just stuff them with what you want! Lots of leftover can make it in these potatoes to make an interesting change. Also, many pasta sauces would be perfect for this type of meal. Check out this Corn and mushroom stroganoff or this Creamy dill chickpea salad for delicious stuffing options!
– Healthy: Potatoes might be lacking antioxidant, but these complex carbohydrate rich vegetables are amazing to keep you full for a while, fuel you with good energy and are great to maintain a regular gut. It is simply a perfect base for more healthy ingredients to stuff inside.
How to make these lentil overloaded delicious potatoes?
First, you will have to cook the potatoes. Just throw them in the oven for about an hour. This will give you plenty of time to make the rest of the recipe while they cook. Or as I recommended, cook them ahead and just reheat them in the microwave when ready to eat.
Then, make the lentil filling. I suggest you use canned lentil to accelerate the recipe making process. Just cook some onions with peppers, garlic, and chili powder for a Mexican twist. Then add some canned tomatoes, canned lentils and lots of leafy green. Everything will be cooked within about 20 minutes. This recipe is great to help you boost your green consumption. Just add lots of spinach, kale, collard green or mustard green to the flavorful lentil stew where they will blend perfectly.
If you would rater use tofu, then you can stuff the potatoes with this vegan bolognese.
Finally, if you haven’t made my Vegan white Queso yet, now is a good time to try it! This sauce adds so much taste with its cheezy and creamy touch. The sauce is very easy to make, only you have to plan ahead since its better to soak the cashews for few hours before blending. If you forgot to do so but still want to make the sauce, just boil the cashews 10 minutes in water for a similar benefit. Also, this sauce stays good in the fridge for a few days, so make it ahead if you can.
Oh, let’s not forget the toppings! Green onions, cilantro, crumbled tortilla chips, sliced pickled jalapeño, hot sauce, etc. These add a great look as well as bringing more taste and textures. Do not underestimate the power of toppings!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and Pinterest and subscribe to my Newsletter to be sure not to miss anything!
Lentil stuffed potato
To make the lentil stuffing:
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 orange or red pepper diced
- 3 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder + 1 tsp or to taste
- 15.5 oz canned lentil (or about 2 cups cooked) drained and rinsed
- 15.5 oz canned diced tomato
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large handful of leafy green (spinach, kale, collard green) roughly chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
Build the stuffed potato:
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 batch Vegan white Queso see in description
- 2 green onions diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
Cook the russet potatoes (recommend to cook ahead for a speady recipe!):
- Pre-heat the oven at 400°. Poke the potatoes with a fork a few times. When the oven is ready, put the whole potatoes directly on the oven rack and cook them for about 60 minutes. Depending of the size of your potatoes, you might need to cook them more or less. Test them after 45 minutes and then, every 15 minutes or so: the potatoes are ready when you can enter a knife all through their flesh very easily without resistance.
To make the lentil stuffing:
- In a large pan, add the onion, pepper and a pinch of salt and black pepper and cook over medium high heat for about 5-6 minutes until soften. Add a tiny bit of oil or water to prevent the veggies from burning.
- Add the garlic, oregano and chili powder and cook for 1 extra minute.
- Then, add the lentils, canned tomatoes (with all the juice) and water. Cook for about 10 minutes at medium heat mixing regularly (keep on a gentle simmer). Add the leafy green and cook for about 2-3 extra minutes until wilted. The mixture is ready when you reach a moist and saucy texture. Adjust the seasoning to your taste (salt, pepper and chili powder).
Build the stuffed potatoes:
- Make an opening in the cooked potatoes lenghtwise (without cutting them all the way through).
- Add a large spoonfull of the lentil mix. It is fine if it falls on the side!
- Drizzle with the Vegan white queso.
- Top with cilantro and green onion. If you feel like spicing it up, add some red pepper flakes or jalapeno or hot sauce. Enjoy!