You will only need 10 minutes to make this extra delicious tofu spread. This dip is so versatile, healthier than the store bought and kids love it. Use it instead of mayonnaise in your sandwiches for a boost in nutrients!
We eat hummus so regularly in this house that I started to be worried we would get tired of it! I was looking for another healthy spread that is also very versatile so we can take a break from the hummus once in a while. And avoid having it banned from the house!
Then I discovered how delicious and satisfying tofu spreads can be. Have you tried them?
Although super convenient, the store bought dips of this kind are filled with preservatives and high in salt and processed fat. All of which we are not big fans. So, why not make your own and choose exactly what goes in it? It's quicker to make than a trip to the store!
This healthy vegan spread is super quick to make, high in protein and packed with healthy carrots. It holds well in the fridge for days!
How to make this healthy vegan dip
Everything goes in the food processor (except for the chives) to reach that creamy and spreadable texture. Add some chopped chives after processing and you are done! It is that simple. You will need firm tofu, carrots, soy sauce, vegan mayonnaise (just a little!), nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, garlic and onion powder and chives to make it.
There is a good amount of carrots hiding in this dip. They add a slight sweetness, which helps balance the flavors and texture of the spread. You won't really know they are in there, which is perfect way to squeeze an extra portion of vegetables for picky eaters. If you love to hide extra nutrients in food, check out how I hide vegetables in pasta sauces.
Tips when making this dip
- To help get a nice thick texture, try to remove as much water as you can out of the tofu before adding it to the food processor. Just press and pat dry it with paper towels for a few minutes.
If you have extra time, then completely wrap it with a few layers of paper towel. Then, put something heavy on top for a few minutes. This will help remove even more water so your spread is not watery.
- Depending on how powerful your food processor is, you might prefer to shred the carrots first. If you know your food processor can handle the raw carrots, then just throw them in cut in half to save some time.
How to eat this tofu spread?
- As a tortilla roll filling: Try making your own vegan tortillas!
- As a sandwich spread: Are you more of a traditional square sandwich bread type of person? Skip the mayo and spread the tofu filling instead. Boost the nutrition profile of your lunch like a pro. If you would like another idea to replace the mayonnaise for your sandwiches, check out this cashew ricotta.
- As a dip: It would make for a fun change from the hummus. Simply combine some veggies (carrots, cucumbers or peppers), crackers or even sliced bread so people can dip or spread!
How to store this tofu spread
Keep this dip in a air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. I do not recommend to freeze this dip.
If necessary, simply stir gently the dip in the container before using.
I hope you will love this dip as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was.
And let's stay in touch with Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Also, don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to be sure not to miss any updates!
- Food processor
- 454g extra firm tofu - drained and patted dry
- 1 cup carrot - roughly chopped or grated
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2-3 tbsp chives - finely chopped
- Drain and roll the block of tofu in a few layer of paper towels. Then, put something heavy on top. Let it rest for about 10 minutes (it should give you enough time to prepare the rest of the ingredients).
- In a food processor, add the pressed tofu and all the ingredients except the chives. Process until you reach a smooth creamy texture.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and add the chives. Mix well.
- Store in the fridge in a air tight container for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Super quick and easy and delicious! I served it with veggies and bread to accompany a soup dinner. Definitely a keeper!
Great! I'm glad you loved it! 🙂
Could you guesstimate a calories per serving? Loved this as a sandwich spread!
Hi Kara! I'm glad you liked it! I don't have total calories per recipe on my website yet but I'm hoping to add that feature soon 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
Love love love!! So easy to make and delicious!!
Oh yay! So glad to hear you like it! Thank you for your comment 🙂