These extra creamy blueberry cream squares are so decadent it will be hard not to eat the whole dish at once. Even though they are made from simple wholesome ingredients, they will feel like indulging in a sweet treat. Vegan, raw and gluten-free.
I love making dessert out of blueberries, especially in the berry season, like this blueberry lemon cake in a mug. The thing is, I love blueberries so much that I just cannot wait for the summer to eat enjoy them. So here you go, I made this blueberry dessert in the middle of the winter using frozen blueberries. And it turned out to be so delicious.
How to make these blueberry cream squares:
To make these fruity squares, you will have to prepare 3 different mixtures and then layer them up. A few hours in the fridge will help set everything before you can enjoy it, so it is better to make this dessert ahead. No cooking required!
Making this dessert seems like big labor, but it much simpler than it looks. And each of the layers only require a few simple ingredients to prepare.
Tips on how to make these vegan blueberry cream squares a big success!
– Make sure to completely cover the dish with parchment paper. This dessert is very delicate, so you need to get the whole dessert out of the dish to be able to cut nice little squares. To do this, cut 2 rectangular shaped parchment paper pieces to protect every side of the dish. Don’t forget to leave some extra length on the sides! Once the preparation is ready, you can pull on the paper and get the entire dessert out of the dish at once. Then, transfer it on a cutting board to cut it in squares for storage.
– Press on the base at the bottom of the dish to get a fairly dense first layer. The base is what will hold everything together! You want a solid first layer since the blueberry and cream layers are very soft.
– Once you have prepared the blueberry mix, spread it right away on the base. This layer will thicken quickly and you will want to spread it evenly in the dish before the thickening process starts.
– I recommend to let the dish sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes after you spread the blueberry layer. This will allow the next cream layer to remain on top without mixing with the fruit layer when you spread it. Also, after you built all the layers, have the dish rest in the fridge for few hours (overnight is best) before cutting it so it has enough time to set and thicken.
– This dessert is a delicate one! Be careful when you cut it so the layers stay intact.
How to store the squares
This dessert will stay good in the fridge for a few days. You can also freeze the individual squares for 2-3 months. Cut it before freezing it so its easy to grab single portions at a time.
Blueberry cream squares
- Food processor
For the base:
- 1 1/2 cup quick cooking oat
- 10 medjool dates pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 tbsp unrefined coconut oil melted
- pinch of salt
From the blueberry layer:
- 2 1/2 cup frozen blueberries thawed
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
For the cream topping:
- 3/4 cup raw and unsalted cashew soaked for at least 2 hours, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Make the base:
- Prepare a dish of about 8 inches square with parchement paper to cover the whole container (leave some paper sticking out of the container so it's easier to remove the dessert by pulling on it).
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for at least one minute until you reach a fine crumbly texture.
- Transfer the oat mixture in the prepared square dish and press on it with your hand hard enough to make a solid even base.
Make the blueberry layer:
- Put all the blueberry layer ingredients in a blender and blend for about 2 minutes until you get a smooth texture. Stop the blender once or twice to scrap the walls.
- Transfer right away the blueberry mixture on top of the base layer and gently make it even using a spatula.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes in the fridge before adding the top creamy layer.
Make the cream topping:
- Put all the cream topping ingredients in a blender and blend for about 2 minutes. Again, stop the blender once or twice to scrap the walls with a spatula. The mixture is ready when you reach a very smooth texture.
- Poor the topping mixture on the blueberry layer, then spread it gently with a spatula.
- Let the dessert sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours (or overnight) before cutting and eating.