These Vanilla cherry energy balls are so delicious and they are easier to make than it seems! They are kept in the freezer, which makes them a fun refreshing healthy snack always ready to go.
Energy balls are such an easy and quick way to make dessert that does not require any cooking. They can be packed with healthy ingredients to give you a boost of energy to help you last until the next meal. You can keep different flavored energy balls in the freezer to make them last longer. They help satisfy sweet cravings and kids loves them!
Few tips to make these Vanilla cherry energy balls:
– It is important to use medjool dates for this recipe. Compared to many other variety of dates, the medjool ones are a fresh fruit and are not dried. They are packed right after they are picked up from the fruit tree and kept in the produce section at the grocery store with the other fresh fruits. They are larger, softer (which helps reach that sticky smooth texture when blended in the food processor) and have a strong caramel taste. Yum!
– The medjool dates, pecans, oats and vanilla extract needs to be blended in the food processor for a few minutes to get to the right texture. You will need to stop the machine to scrap down the walls few times in the process until you reach a crumbly mixture that can easily be pressed into a sticky dough.
– I use frozen cherries for this recipe simply because they have such a short fresh season, so I always keep some in my freezer. I first prepare the date mixture in the food processor and leave the cherries in the freezer until I’m ready to roll them. I find it easier to press the cherry in the middle of the dough if they are still hard from being frozen.
– I like to roll theses energy ball in chia seeds to add some crunch (and I don’t mind the extra fibres!), but other toppings like unsweetened shredded coconut, chopped nuts, more rolled oats, etc, will also work great!
Looking to use your fresh cherries instead of frozen ones? Then try this Cherry marmalade, no added granulated sugar and no cooking required!
Vanilla cherry energy balls
- Food processor
- 1/2 cup medjool dates pit removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10-12 frozen cherries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- In a food processor, blend together the medjool dates, oats, pacanes and the vanilla extract for few minutes until you reach a smooth crumbly texture.
- Press 2 tsp of the dough in the shape of a circle of about 2 inches, put a frozen cherry in the middle, and wrap the dough around the cherry. Completely cover the fruit with the dough to make sure the ball holds together, pressing the extremity on top of each other. Keep going until you used all the dough.
- Roll the balls in chia seeds while applying a gentle pressure to make them stick to the balls. You could use a different topping, like unsweetened shredded coconut, choped nuts, hemps seeds, etc if you prefer.
- Keep the balls in the fridge (stays good for few days). You can also keep them in the freezer for a month or two and thaw them at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before enjoying.