How much would you like to be 5 minutes away from having a warm and fluffy cake, at any time, without leaving your house? Sounds too good to be true, right? But I have the answer for you: Blueberry lemon cake IN A MUG! Yes, thats right. It’s a cake for one person entirely made in a coffee mug. Vegan, easy and extra delicious.
These super fast one cup cakes have been around for a while and I could not resist being part of this trend. Why are they so great? Aside from being so easy and fast, there is no kitchen mess, no need for big oven and no large amount of leftover cake. It’s the ultimate one person convenient dessert. And my version is healthy, of course.
What do you need to make this cake?
– A mug (or a microwave safe bowl): Not a big surprise. But not all mugs will do it. When you make the cake, it will rise quite a bit, so you need a big enough mug to support that. Choose a mug that’s at least 2 cups or 16oz to avoid a mess in your microwave. Also, I find that the wide but shallow cup result in a more uniformly cooked cake, so chose this style if you can.
– A microwave: No oven required, only a microwave. It’s so much faster (no pre-heating step) and not having to turn on the regular oven during a warm summer can be a big advantage.
– 5 minutes: Once you gathered all the ingredients to make the cake, you are already almost done! Juicing and zesting the lemon is probably the slowest step in the process and the total cooking time is only 2 1/2 minutes, who does not have that?
But what about the ingredients?
Mostly simple pantry ingredients. Here are the main ones:
– Lemons: This is no big revelation here. You need lemons for lemon cake. Fresh lemon please, no fridge stored artificial concentrated fluid. When making the cake, start by zesting and juicing the lemon and set aside. Then, you will get a cake in no time.
– Flour: Choose whole wheat flour if possible! White flour will work too.
– Coconut oil: You need a little bit of fat to make a fluffy and light cake. This is a treat after all. Only 1 tbsp in the entire recipe though.
– Apple sauce: This ingredient allows the cake to reach a nice texture without having to add lots of processed oil. I have tried to remove this ingredient just to make the recipe even more convenient, but without success. I recommend you to buy one portion apple sauce (kid size cup) packaging so you don’t end up getting stuck with a opened large apple sauce container. Unless you cannot stop making this cake like me, then go ahead and get the big jar.
– Poppy seeds: There is a reason why poppy seeds + lemon is a classic combo. The tiny seeds add such a great texture to the lemony cake. They are not an essential ingredient, so no need for a special grocery trip if that is the only ingredient that you are missing.
Want more sweet blueberry recipes? You might also like this Blueberry cream square delicious dessert.
Also, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and Pinterest and subscribe to my Newsletter to stay in the loop!
Blueberry lemon cake in a mug
To make the cake:
- 1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsweetened non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries + 1 tsp flour
- Put the coconut oil in a mug and cook in the microwave for 30 secondes (or enough so the oil is all melted).
- Add the maple syrup, non dairy milk, apple sauce and lemon juice in the mug. Mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and poppy seeds (if using). Mix well with a fork until you see no clumps anymore, but try not to overmix.
- In a small bowl, mix the blueberries with the 1 tsp of flour. Remove the excess of flour and add the blueberries to the mug (this will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the mug while cooking). Mix gently just to incorporate them, again, without overmixing.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes. Let rest for few minutes and enjoy straight from the mug.