How much would you like to be 5 minutes away from having a warm, moist and fluffy cake? This healthy and easy to make vegan lemon blueberry mug cake is the perfect one person sweet treat. And it's entirely cooked in the microwave!
When I feel like treating myself, which is often, I will usually jump for something savory, like this queso (yes, this sauce often hangs out in my fridge, we are addicted) or homemade popcorn. I'm not looking for dessert very often. BUT. When I want something sweet, then I wanted it yesterday.
And this mug cake is perfect for these sweet cravings. Made with simple ingredients that are often already in the house, you can just mix everything together in a coffee mug, microwave and get your dessert fix without any fuss.
Why you will love this lemon blueberry mug cake
- Super easy and quick (5 minutes!)
- No kitchen mess
- It gives a single-portion cake (no cake leftovers that last for days!)
- No need to turn on a big oven, the mug cake is cooked in a microwave
- SO delicious, fluffy, a little sweet with a good punch of zesty flavors
How to make this lemon blueberry mug cake
Once you have fresh lemon and blueberries, than the rest of the ingredients are simple basic pantry ingredients.
- In a mug, melt the coconut oil for 20-30 seconds, then add the lemon juice, vegan milk and maple syrup. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds (if using). Give it another whisk until it forms a cake batter consistency. Then, add the fresh blueberries and incorporate them in the batter.
- Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, then let it rest for 5 minutes before enjoying.
Watch how to make it
Tips when making this lemon blueberry mug cake
- I tested this recipe with the white whole wheat flour from King Arthur Flour, but regular flour should work too.
- When making this cake for the first time, you might need to experiment a bit. It all depends on the strength of your microwave. Start by cooking the batter for 2 minutes, then add 10 seconds at the time until its done. Do not overcook though, or your cake will get dry or hard.
- When you make the cake, it will rise quite a bit before it sinks back into the cup. So, you need a big enough mug to support this (at least 2 cups or 16oz).
- I also recommend to place the mug on a plate or paper towel in the microwave when cooking to catch any spills if there are any.
- If you would love a more intense lemon flavor, then add extra lemon zest to the batter (about ¼-1/2 tsp).
Top the your mug cake with vegan whipped cream, vegan ice cream, fresh blueberries or lemon zest.
Other lemon recipes you might like
I hope you will love this mug cake as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it was. Your feedback is so helpful!
Lemon Blueberry Mug Cake
To make the cake:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegan plain milk - use oat milk for a nut-free recipe
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp poppy seeds - optional
- 10 fresh blueberries
- Add the coconut oil to a mug and melt in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Then, add the maple syrup, vegan milk and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder and poppy seeds (if using). Stir well with a fork until you see no clumps anymore, but try not to overmix. You should get a cake batter consistency.
- Then, add the blueberries and incorporate them to the batter.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes. Let the cake rest for 5 minutes and enjoy straight from the mug!
- This recipe was tested with white whole wheat flour, but regular flour should work too.
- Choose your mug: While cooking in the microwave, the cake will rise quite a bit, so make sure there is enough space into the mug to allow for this to happen. Mugs of at least 2 cups or 16 oz work well.
- When making this cake for the first time, you might need to experiment a bit. It all depends on the strength of your microwave and the shape of your mug. Start by cooking the batter for 2 minutes, then add 10 seconds at the time until its done. Do not overcook though, or your cake will get dry or hard.
- You can also add lemon zest to the batter if you are looking for an extra zesty cake.
- Topping ideas: vegan whipped cream, vegan ice cream, fresh fruits and lemon zest.