How much would you like to be 5 minutes away from having a warm, moist and fluffy cake? This healthy and easy to make Blueberry lemon mug cake is the perfect one person sweet treat. And it’s entirely cooked in the microwave!
When I feel like treating myself, which is often, I will usually jump for a savory queso (yes, this sauce often hangs out in my fridge, we are addicted) or homemade popcorn. I’m not looking for dessert as often. BUT. When I want something sweet, you better get out of my way my friend.
And this mug cake is perfect for these sweet cravings. Made with simple ingredients that are often already in my house, I can just mix everything together in a coffee mug, microwave and get my dessert fix without any fuss.
If mug cakes are new to you, then you will see: once you discover how convenient they are, there is just no going back. They are easy, super quick (I mean, we are talking about 5 minutes here), no kitchen mess, no need for big oven and no large amount of leftover cake.
When planning on making a mug cake, I tried real hard to resist the temptation of making it another lemony flavored recipe. Lemony miso potatoes, Lemony cauliflower alfredo or Lemon ricotta, it’s now pretty clear that I have a thing for all things lemon!
But, how could I turn down this new opportunity for delicious zesty flavors from bright lemon combined with bursting sweet blueberries?
Also, just like this Mocha chia pudding or these Cinnamon oatmeal cookies, this easy mug cake is healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast! In that case, simply top your cooked cake with coconut yogurt and more fresh fruits.
What you need to make this Blueberry lemon mug cake
- A mug (or a microwave safe bowl): When you make the cake, it will rise quite a bit, before it sinks back in the cup. So, you need a big enough mug to support that. Choose a mug that’s at least 2 cups or 16oz to avoid a mess in your microwave.
- A microwave: No oven required. It’s so much faster (no pre-heating step) and not having to turn on a big oven during a warm summer is so great!
- 5 minutes: Mix the ingredients in the mug and microwave for 2 minutes. That’s it!
Tips when making this Blueberry lemon mug cake
- Choose white whole wheat flour if possible! Regular white flour will work too.
- When making this cake for the first time, you might need to experiment a bit. It all depends on the strength of your microwave. Start by cooking the batter for 2 minutes, then add 10 seconds at the time until its done. Do not overcook though, or your cake will get dry or hard.
- I recommend you put the mug on a plate or paper towel in the microwave when cooking it to catch any spill if there are any.
- If you would love a more intense lemon flavor, then add extra lemon zest to the batter (about 1/4-1/2 tsp).
I hope you will love this blueberry lemon cake in a mug as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it was.
Blueberry lemon mug cake (Vegan and Healthy)
To make the cake:
- 1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsweetened non dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 5 tbsp White Whole-Wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds optional
- 8-10 fresh blueberries
- Put the coconut oil in the mug and cook in the microwave for 20-30 seconds (or enough so the oil is all melted).
- Add the maple syrup, non dairy milk and lemon juice in the mug. Mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and poppy seeds (if using). Mix well with a fork until you see no clumps anymore, but try not to overmix.
- In a small bowl, mix the blueberries with the 1 tsp of flour. Remove the excess of flour and add the blueberries to the mug (this will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the mug while cooking). Do not mix them too much: You want to keep the flour coating around the berries, so simply push them down into the dough until they sink without stirring too much.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes. Let rest for few minutes and enjoy straight from the mug!
- Works best with WHITE whole-wheat flour.
- Choose your MUG: While cooking in the microwave, the cake will rise quite a bit, so make sure there is enough space into the mug to allow for this to happen.