This healthier vegan caramel sauce is like magic! Amazing sweet dates are blended with a few simple ingredients to create a luscious, super sweet and highly addictive caramel sauce. It's a very simple recipe done within 15 minutes. You can spoon/pour it over just about anything without feeling like you are overindulging. SO good!
There are so many vegan caramel sauces on the web, but lots of them are made using vegan butter, vegan cream and granulated sugar. These amazing gooey vegan caramel sauces are perfect for the occasional special moments. But, don't you feel like we should be able to enjoy caramel sauces at any time without feeling like we are spoiling a good healthy eating day? A caramel sauce that you would generously pour over your children's morning oatmeal bowls without any guilt?
I got you covered.
This version is made using only 4 ingredients: fresh medjool dates, maple syrup, vegan milk and a hint of coconut oil. It will NOT give you the exact classic caramel-y texture that stretches and pours like a thin sauce. BUT, its flavor and smooth sticky texture is SO darn delicious. You won't be able to resist eating it by the spoon!
And it is very straight forward to prepare. After you soak the dates, then you only have to blend everything together. Easy peasy. Play around with the amount of vegan milk to reach a desired consistency and use this caramel sauce in anything you want to add a caramel-y flavor!
Why you will love this vegan caramel sauce
- Rich flavor
- Sticky, thick and super smooth texture
- Extra sweet, thanks to the medjool dates
- Easy, quick and simple recipe
- No cooking required!
- A healthier option compared to regular caramel sauces
How to make this vegan caramel sauce
- Soak the pitted dates in plenty of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Then, blend the softened dates, maple syrup, coconut oil and vegan milk until smooth.
- Et voilà!
Watch how to make it
Tips when making a date caramel sauce
- The type and freshness of your dates will largely influence the result of your caramel. You want to choose large, moist, soft and fresh medjool dates. The small-ish, dried out and old dates that have been hanging out in your pantry for a while might not be the best choice when making this caramel sauce. You are looking for plump dates that will create a rich flavor and texture. You can find medjool dates in the produce section at your grocery stores.
- When blending the sauce, take a few breaks to scrape the walls. You might have to do this for a few times. Even after soaking your dates and using a high speed blender, dates can take some time to be crushed into a luscious sauce.
- You can adjust the texture of your sauce with more vegan milk if desired, especially if looking for a more pourable sauce. Using more milk will make your sauce not as sweet, which you could adjust by adding an extra tablespoon or so of maple syrup.
I keep this recipe simple as I find its flavor so rich and delicious just as it is. But, you can also:
- Add a hint of vanilla extract to enhance even more the sweetness.
- Use canned coconut milk (mix well before using) instead of regular vegan milk. This will add more fat to the recipe, but also more richness and creaminess.
- If you love the salt and sweet flavor combo, then add a pinch of sea salt.
How to use this vegan caramel sauce
The question should be more how not to use this decadent delicious sauce! Here are my favorite usages:
- Morning oatmeal or overnight oats (yes, you are allowed)
- Generously spread over toast
- As a dipping sauce for fruits (perfect for apples)
- Over vegan ice cream or when making caramel ice cream cups
- To top cakes, cupcakes, brownies, muffins
- Or, for bad-days-binge-eating by the spoon. You do you, we are not watching.
Keep the date caramel sauce in a airtight container for 1-2 weeks in your fridge. Stir before using. The caramel might appear thicker as it cools down.
It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Other sweet dessert sauces/toppings you might like
I hope you enjoy this vegan caramel sauce recipe as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was. Your feedback is so helpful!
Vegan Caramel Sauce (Healthier Recipe)
- 15 large medjool dates - pitted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil - choose refined to avoid coconut flavor
- ¾ to 1 cup vegan milk - or more to reach desired consistency, use oat milk for a nut-free recipe
- Soak the pitted dates in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Drain the date and transfer to a blender. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until very smooth. Start with ¾ cup of vegan milk and add more (¼ cup at the time) to reach the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 7-10 days. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- This healthier recipe yields a caramel sauce that is not easily pourable (it is more of a plop-able caramel!). This texture is due to its healthier ingredients. The flavors are incredible and the texture very smooth and sticky.
- Serve over vegan ice cream, cakes, toasts, oatmeal bowls, overnight oats, ice cream cups, topping muffins or cupcakes. Or, simply by the spoon!