This delicious Mediterranean avocado toast recipe requires only a few ingredients and makes for a hearty, filling and healthy breakfast or lunch. Can be whipped up together within 5-10 minutes and 100% vegan and dairy-free.
Whenever I feel like enjoying a healthy savory breakfast, I usually make myself simple avocado toast.
If I have an extra few minutes, I might even go for black bean avocado toast, but I will often simply garnish the sliced or mashed avocado using salt and lemon juice.
I wanted to share another pretty fast way to boost your simple avocado toast breakfast with more flavor and character without having to put in much more extra effort: Mediterranean avocado toast.
This recipe comes together so easily and adds a huge amount of flavor to a regular avocado toast meal. It features a few classic Mediterranean ingredients, such as cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, lemon and fresh herbs, plus it can be whipped up within 10 minutes.
It is great for breakfast, but also makes for a filling and delicious lunch or even snack. It is loaded with healthy omega-3 fats, thanks to the avocado, but also vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. Makes for a complete, hearty and wholesome breakfast idea everyone will love, even the ones with a big appetite!
This avocado toast recipe is so flavorful and fun while helping you stick with your healthy diet.
Let me know if you gave it a try! ❤️
Why you will love this recipe
- Fast recipe: can be done within 5-10 minutes!
- Uses simple ingredients and very versatile
- Features favorite Mediterranean flavors
- Wholesome recipe packed with nutrients, such as healthy fats and fiber
- Perfect breakfast or lunch
- Naturally vegan, dairy-free, vegetarian and can easily be made gluten-free
What you will need
- Bread: Using a good bread that you like makes a difference! I used simple whole wheat bread for making this recipe, but you can also make it with sourdough bread, crusty bread, Ezekiel bread, whole grain bread and pumpernickel. You can also use everything bagels to make them! Use gluten-free bread if needed.
- Fresh avocado: you will need a perfectly ripe avocado for this recipe.
- Kalamata olive: they are briny, salty and chewy, and amazing to boost the Mediterranean flavors of the toasts.
- Cherry tomatoes: use sweet and ripe juicy tomatoes for best results. You can also use regular tomatoes if that's all you have.
- Lemon juice: amazing at enhancing the flavor of the hearty avocado and brightening up the whole recipe. Lemon juice also slows down the avocado's oxidation process, which can limit the browning of the mixture. Can be swapped for lime juice.
- Fresh herbs: I used a combination of fresh parsley and mint, but fresh basil, fresh dill or cilantro work well too.
How to make Mediterranean avocado toast
This avocado toast is so delicious I could eat it every day! The avocado mixture should be ready within 5-10 minutes, just enough time to chop the veggies.
Make the avocado mash mixture
Transfer the avocado flesh to a plate and use a fork to mash it to the desired consistency.
Add the chopped olives, tomatoes, fresh herbs and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then add salt and black pepper to taste.
Toast the bread and then, transfer the mashed creamy avocado mixture over the slices of toast. Garnish with more fresh herbs, drizzle extra lemon juice and add a pinch of salt as needed.
You can also add some red pepper flakes for a little heat.
- Using a perfectly ripe avocado is important for this recipe. Look for an avocado that yields when you press gently on it, without being too soft. Avoid using avocados with dark spots inside, those can be bitter. On the other side, an avocado that is hard and not ripe enough will lack flavor and won't mash very well.
- Olives are usually super salty, so if you are watching your salt intake, then you can taste the mixture before adding any extra salt or completely omit the salt. Often I will not add any fine salt to the mashed avocado itself, but I will add some coarse salt over the toast.
- Adjust how smooth vs chunky you want the avocado mixture to be by mashing more or less the avocado.
I love to serve them simply with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and extra chopped fresh herbs.
Here are more avocado toast favorite toppings:
- Sesame seeds
- Caramelized onion and mushroom
- Drizzle of olive oil (use high-quality extra virgin olive oil if you can)
- Vegan feta cheese
- Pomegranate seeds
- Balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar
- Pumpkin seeds
- Za'atar seasonings
This recipe is typically served as an open-faced sandwich, although you can use the mashed avocado filling to make a colorful sandwich with extra garden veggies. Add some sliced crispy cucumbers, romaine lettuce for a good crunch and shredded carrots for more color.
On Sunday morning, I also like to serve avocado toast alongside tofu scramble for a hearty filling breakfast or brunch.
This recipe is super versatile and you can add extra flavor boosters in the avocado mash as well. Try these variations:
- Protein-packed: Similar to this protein guacamole, you can mash edamame within the avocado mixture. Edamame are rich in plant-based protein, which can make this recipe more satisfying and keep you full for longer, but also, they will add more texture.
- Spicy: add some red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper to the avocado mash. You can also simply drizzle some hot sauce over at serving.
- Fiber-rich: add some mashed chickpeas to your avocado mixture to boost it with more protein, but also fiber. Check out this avocado chickpea sandwich for inspiration! Or feel free to spread some hummus on your bread before adding the avocado mixture.
- Flavorful ingredient: you can also include finely diced red onion and crushed garlic for a nice boost in taste or dust some chili powder at serving.
Once you assemble the toast, it is best to enjoy it right away.
You could make the avocado mash a few hours ahead of time, although avocadoes lose their freshness and bright green color fairly quickly. For this reason, this is not a great recipe for meal prep.
If you do have some leftover avocado mixture, then you can transfer it into an airtight container and cover it with extra lemon juice. This can block contact with ambient air and limit the oxidation process, which can help keep the colors bright.
More savory breakfast recipes you might like
- Curry tofu scramble
- Vegan savory breakfast power bowl
- Vegan egg bites
- Tofu scramble breakfast sandwich
- Vegan hash browns
- Homemade everything bagels
- Silken tofu scramble
- Quinoa breakfast bowl with tomato compote
I hope you like this Mediterranean avocado toast recipe as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was. Your feedback is so helpful!
Mediterranean Avocado Toast
- 2 slices bread of choice - toasted
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice - or to taste
- 7-8 kalamata olives - finely chopped
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes - chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, mint or basil - finely chopped, plus more to garnish
- Transfer the avocado to a plate and mash until desired consistency.
- Then, add the olives, tomatoes, lemon juice and fresh herbs and stir to combine. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Dollop and spread over toasted bread and sprinkle more salt, herbs and lemon juice. Enjoy right away.
- Storage: mashed avocado does not store well. This recipe is best when enjoyed right away.
- Favorite add-ins and toppings: red onion, cayenne pepper, mashed chickpeas or edamame, pumpkin seeds, balsamic vinegar, vegan feta cheese, etc. Check the blog post for more ideas!