This delicious homemade smoky ketchup is too easy to make not to try! It is slightly sweet with a hint of smokiness. Try it instead of regular ketchup for a healthier alternative that bursts with amazing flavor. Made within 10 minutes, free of refined sugar and vegan.
You have got to try this delicious smoky ketchup: it has a perfect balance of sweet vs tangy vs smoky flavor, plus you can whip up a batch in minutes!
This recipe is a tomato ketchup made from scratch using tomato paste for a healthier condiment that has better flavor too. Store-bought ketchup is so sweet and often packed with high-fructose corn syrup, so making your own ketchup is a much healthier option.
The tomato paste is simply combined with a few spices and a sweetener (I used maple syrup, no white sugar!), so easy and versatile.
It uses simple pantry ingredients, so you can make a batch any time you need it. It is also done within 10 minutes and is naturally vegan. You will love its unique twist of flavor from a regular ketchup!
Let me know if you gave it a try! ❤️
Why you will love this recipe
- Healthier homemade ketchup recipe made using natural ingredients
- Easy condiment that has big flavors
- Comes together in minutes
- Naturally vegan and plant-based
- Versatile ways to serve it
- Great sauce to make ahead
- Easy to customize the recipe to taste
Ingredients you will need
Many recipes uses store-bought ketchup when making a smoky ketchup. But you really don't have to! In this recipe, the base is made using simple canned tomato paste. This provides the tomato flavor and acidity level you need for a super tasty sauce.
Here are the ingredients needed:
- Tomato paste: the base of the ketchup. You will need ½ cup of tomato paste, which is about 4 oz.
- Maple syrup: sweetener of choice for this smoky ketchup. Maple syrup not only adds sweetness but also a deeper caramel-like flavor that works well for flavoring a ketchup dip. You can swap for brown sugar.
- Soy sauce: adds a deep umami flavor and more saltiness.
- Worcestershire sauce: check the label to make sure it is vegan.
- Onion powder and garlic powder: add so much amazing flavor!
- Dijon mustard: just for a hint of peppery flavor.
- Liquid smoke: responsible for that delicious smoky flavor. If you don't have it, then you can use smoked paprika, although the smoky flavor will not be as strong.
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to make this homemade smoky tomato ketchup
It is so easy to make this condiment! It should be ready within 10 minutes. If you are looking for a chilled ketchup, then I recommend planning ahead and making it the day before you need (or a few hours) it so it can cool down in the fridge before serving.
In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients: tomato paste, water, onion and garlic powder, maple syrup, dijon mustard, liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce.
Give it a good whisk until all smooth.
Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring often. Be careful with the splashes as they can burn and turn down the heat to low if needed.
Once the ketchup has simmered for about 5 minutes, then remove it from the heat. You can enjoy it right away, but ideally, transfer it to a glass container and place it in the fridge to cool down.
To make this sauce, you will simply gather all the ingredients in a small pot and warm the mixture on the stove for about 5 minutes while stirring. The result is a thick and flavorful sauce that is so much better than the store-bought one.
Keep it in the fridge in an air-tight container for about a week.
This recipe makes only about 1 cup of sauce. So, don't hesitate to make more!
How to use this sauce
Use this sauce as you would use regular BBQ sauce or ketchup!
It goes great with French fries or potato baked dishes or casserole. It would make for a fun condiment to add to your holiday table!
It also makes for an amazing marinade for tofu or toss cauliflower in this sauce before roasting it in the oven. Also, try it on pizza instead of the regular tomato sauce for a fun smoky twist.
We also love it to dip in these chickpea patties or to use in burgers.
More pairing suggestions
- Roasted miso potatoes
- Lentil shepherd's pie
- Vegan lentil pot pie
- Potato veggie croquettes
- Oyster mushroom burgers
- Jackfruit nuggets
- Vegan hash browns
- Baked tofu nuggets
- Vegan lentil meatloaf
I hope you will love this homemade smoky ketchup as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was.
Homemade BBQ ketchup - Easy and Healthy
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ½ tsp worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- In a small pot, combine all the ingredients together and mix well with a whisk.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then turn down the heat to medium. Keep to a low simmer for about 1-2 minute while whisking.
- Remove from the heat. Enjoy warm or cold.
- Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to a week.