This vegan cold cucumber soup is the absolute best summer appetizer to help cool you down on a hot day! It’s light, refreshing and comes together within 10 minutes. You will love how easy it is to make: just throw everything in the blender! Plus, it’s wholesome, dairy-free and naturally gluten-free.
I love making soup so much, especially the creamy ones. They are usually easy to prepare and since the leftovers often get better over time, they make for a perfect healthy meal to prepare ahead.
With the hot days right now, it’s not tempting to gobble on a hot bowl of soup and we have been missing creamy and silky soups. So here comes this cucumber soup!
This might sound a bit odd, but trust me, it is so good. Also called cucumber gazpacho, reserve this soup for when you need a fresh start to your meal or to simply serve it during gatherings. It will for sure catch everyone’s attention!
This recipe also comes perfectly on time with the abundance of cucumbers in the gardens. Even though I have been making tzatziki sauce, cucumber nori rolls or watermelon cucumber salad, it seems like the profusion of cucumbers is not going down.
What you will need to make this vegan cold cucumber soup
The cucumbers are blended to a smooth texture and make for the base of the soup. You will also add a touch of fresh basil, red wine vinegar, green onion and garlic. You won’t need much of these, but they are essential to really enhance the flavors dramatically.
Oh, and don’t forget the avocado. This is the secret for reaching that delicious creaminess, but without any dairy. It also brings healthy fat to the mix, which helps carry all the flavors together.
How to make this extra easy chilled soup
Everything goes in the blender! This recipe could not be easier.
It can be eaten at room temperature, but if you have extra time, I recommend to chill it in the fridge for an hour or two. The cooling effect will be better and this will allow the flavors to combine together even more.
Substitutions possible for this vegan cold cucumber soup
- If you don’t have red wine vinegar, using either freshly squeezed lime juice or apple cider vinegar will have that same tangy touch. In this case, you might need to adjust the amount you have to add to the mix, so start with less and taste on the way as you add more.
- I have done this same recipe with fresh dill instead of basil and oh, it was really good too. You would need about 2 packed tbsp for this recipe.
- Instead of water, you can use almond milk to make this soup even creamier. Be sure to use the unflavoured and unsweetened one.
How to serve it
I find this soup best when served in smaller portions. Sizes of about 3/4 cup in small glass jars is great. Just like tiny cucumber shooters! How cute!
Then, to these small jars, add some hearty or crunchy toppings. Chopped avocado, tomato, cucumber and basil would be perfect.
This soup goes well with crusty bread or crackers. It would also be a great addition to a platter of appetizers: people can just grab their individual jars.
Other creamy soups you might like
I hope you will love this summer soup as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it was.
And let’s stay in touch with Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter to be sure not to miss any updates!
Vegan cold cucumber soup with avocado and basil
- 4 cups cucumber (about 2 cucumbers) roughly chopped
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 green onions
- 1/3 cup fresh basil packed, more for serving
- 2/3 cup water or more to thin the soup if needed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend for 30-60 seconds or until everything is combined and the mixture is very smooth.
- You can serve the soup immediately at room temperature or chill it in the fridge for an hour or two before serving to get a colder soup.
- When serving, garnish with chopped avocado (use the other half), tomato, cucumber and fresh basil. Sprinkle with kosher salt if desired. Enjoy!