Sparkling Fresh Cranberry Orange Mocktail with Ginger
This festive bubbly cranberry orange mocktail is easy to prepare, looks so beautiful and uses fresh cranberries instead of cranberry juice! Also, filled with amazing flavor with the right balance of sweet vs tart. To make it easier to serve for gatherings, make the syrup ahead and combine with sparkling water just before serving!
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- 3-4 slices of fresh ginger (about ¼ inch thick each) - peeled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup - or other sweetener
- 2 Navel oranges - juiced
- sparkling water - plain or lime flavored, unsweetened
- ice cubes - for serving
Transfer the fresh cranberries in a small pot and add the slices of ginger with ¾ cup of water. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to medium. Keep uncovered and let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until the water is half evaporated and the cranberries are soft and start to break apart.
Then, roughly mash the cranberries to a coarse texture (you can just use a spoon). You should end up with a loose purée.
Place a fine-mesh colander over a bowl or wide jar and pour the cranberry mixture over. Add the orange juice and use a spoon to help strain. Remove the colander and discard the remaining ginger and fruit pulps. Add the maple syrup to the juice and stir. This is the concentrated syrup.
Ideally, let the syrup completely cool down in the fridge before enjoying, which makes it a great drink to make ahead.
When ready to make your drinks, fill 2 glasses with ice cubes, divide the cranberry mixture in between the glasses and add sparkling water over (about ½-¾ cup per drink). Stir and enjoy!
CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE BY EMAIL
- The concentrated syrup can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Combine with sparkling water only when ready to serve (otherwise your drink can become flat).
- You can freeze a few cranberries ahead to use as ice cubes.
- I recommend to first peel the ginger. I found that boiling the unpeeled ginger slices created flakes with the peels with some that were small enough to go through my fine-mesh colander.
- Don't forget to chill your sparkling water ahead so your mocktail is extra frosty.