Vegan Cauliflower Gratin
A simple & cozy vegan cauliflower gratin dish that's filled with a rich bechamel sauce and topped with a savory crispy panko topping. This is the perfect healthy side dish for any occasions and can easily be turned into a full meal.
- 1 large head of cauliflower - chopped in florets
- 1 white onion - diced
- 1 batch vegan bechamel
For the crispy topping
- ½ cup panko breadcrumb
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp dried parsley - or basil, oregano
Pre-heat the oven at 375˚.
Steam or boil the cauliflower florets for about 5 minutes, then drain very well. Set aside.
Make the bechamel sauce
Follow this vegan bechamel link to find the detailed recipe. After adding the olive oil to the pot, cook the onion for about 5-7 minutes before adding the flour and milk. When the bechamel is done, add ½-1 tsp of salt, ½ tbsp of nutritional yeast and plenty of ground pepper.
Build the gratin
In a oven safe baking dish, spread up to the corners about ¼ of the bechamel in the bottom of the dish, then add all the steamed cauliflower, then drizzle the rest of the bechamel over. Finish up by sprinkling evenly the topping mixture over the dish.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 min, then broil for about 2-3 more minutes watching carefully so it does not burn.
CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES! SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE BY EMAIL
- Keep the florets pieces on a larger size. This will help the vegetable keep its shape when cooking and prevent the dish from becoming mushy.
- I recommend to use a panko kind of breadcrumbs. This will allow to reach a crispy top without adding any oil/butter in the topping mixture.
- Broiling the gratin really makes a difference, but it burns super fast, so stay around and put a timer for 2-3 minutes so you don't forget about it.