This easy tofu scramble breakfast burrito is packed with nutritious ingredients, super easy to make and so flavorful. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or a meal on-the-go.
Even though it takes me a while to get hungry in the morning (you can blame this on the late night popcorn, I suppose), when hunger comes, I want a large filling meal. And a fast meal too, since running after a 2 and 4 year old is not exactly what I call a relaxing morning where I can take some time cooking for me.
Cooking something for myself? What is this again?
This plant-based breakfast recipe is perfect for these mornings when I'm starving. Everything goes in the pan and then rolled into a burrito shape. So I can hold my burrito in one hand and attend the little ones with the other one. Not that I would expect to actually sit down to eat it.
Why you will love this tofu scramble breakfast burrito
- Perfect for when you crave a savory vegan breakfast
- Very filling, perfect as a post work-out meal!
- A great to-go meal.
- Loaded with nourishing and wholesome plant-based ingredients
- Perfect for meal-prep
- So delicious, everyone loves them, even non-vegans!
Ingredients to make this tofu scramble breakfast burrito
Crumbled tofu can imitate scrambled eggs so well. The flavor of the tasteless tofu is revamped by kalamata olives, artichokes, tomatoes and lots of spices.
- The base: Firm tofu and onions (check out this post to learn how to make a scramble tofu using silken tofu)
- Spice it up: Nutritional yeast, ground turmeric, salt and black Pepper
- Mediterranean flavors: Artichokes, kalamata olives, tomatoes and baby spinach
- Boost the flavor: Garlic, lemon juice and fresh basil
- To make the burrito: Large burrito bread (These whole wheat large tortilla from Maria and Ricardo's are the one that I choose)
How to make this tofu scramble breakfast burrito
This meal can be ready within 30 minutes. You simply have to make a scramble tofu, then roll in a burrito.
- Make the tofu scramble
Cook the onions and spices in a pan. Then, using your hands, crumble the tofu in chunks straight to the pan.
Then, add the artichokes, olives, tomatoes and garlic. The juice from the tomatoes will come out to help all the flavors combine together. If the mixture feels too dry, then add a little bit of water, 2 tbsp at the time, and let it reduce so the mixture does not get too wet.
Finally, add the spinach, fresh basil and lemon juice. Let the mixture cook until the spinach wilts and the consistency is moist without being watery.
- Roll in a burrito
Lay a large burrito on a plate (you can warm it first for a few seconds in the microwave), add slices avocado on the half bottom portion and some of the tofu scramble. Then, flip the sides over the filling and roll. You need to keep the filling quite tight inside, by following a "roll and tuck" technique.
I usually eat it right after rolling it, but you can also wrap it in aluminium foil and warm in the oven for a few minutes.
I love adding sliced avocado to this burrito roll, but you can also fill it with cooked sweet potato or white potatoes, crunchy lettuce, fresh herbs, vegan ranch or even spicy sauce (so good dipped in this buffalo sauce).
You can also enjoy the Mediterranean tofu scramble simply on a plate with crusty bread and roasted potatoes. Yum!
The tofu scramble store very well in a air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. The burrito is best when eaten right away, but you can also roll it in aluminium foil and store in the fridge for a few days. Warm before enjoying.
More tofu recipes you might like
- Marinated Smoky Tofu Sandwich
- Crispy Coconut Tofu
- Vegan Tofu Tikka Masala
- Scallion Ginger Oven Baked Tofu
- Watermelon Salad with Tofu Feta
I hope you will love this vegan tofu scramble burrito recipe as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it was.
Tofu Scramble Burrito - Mediterranean style
- 1 cup white onion - diced
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt - or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper - or to taste
- 454 g extra firm tofu - patted dry
- 2 clove of garlic - crushed
- ⅓ cup kalamata olive - pitted and roughly chopped
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes - quatered
- 14 oz canned artichokes - drained and roughly chopped
- 2 large handful of baby spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil - roughly chopped
- Half lemon - juiced
- 3 large tortillas (burrito size)
- Start by cooking the onions in a large pan over medium heat in a little bit of olive oil (or water) until they are cooked through and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Then, add the spices (turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper), mix well and cook for about 30 more seconds.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands into the pan in bite size chunks. Mix well to incorporate the spices into the tofu pieces.
- Then, add the kalamata olives, tomatoes, artichokes and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Add the basil, spinach and lemon juice and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the spinach leaves are wilted.
- Lay a large tortilla on a cutting board and add about a third of the scramble tofu mixture in the first bottom half. If desired, also add sliced avocado, lettuce, red pepper flakes, etc.
- Then, fold the 2 sides on top of the filling and roll. Slice in half. Enjoy immediately.
- The leftover tofu scramble can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.