This easy tofu scramble burrito is jam-packed with different flavors and is so high in goodness it will give you all the energy you need to attack your busy day! Make it for breakfast or lunch to get a mediterranean feel while munching on kalamata olives, artichokes, basil, tomatoes and spinach.
Scrambled tofu is my husband’s favorite breakfast. Well, maybe after pancakes, of course. This is what I make when we crave a savory breakfast and it take us out of our well established oatmeal morning routine. Crumbled tofu can imitate scrambled eggs so well, it will be revelation if you have never tried it. You only have to make sure to include a few very tasty ingredients into the mix to boost the flavor of the tasteless tofu.
What’s in this tofu scramble burrito?
The base: Tofu + Onions.
Spice it up: Nutritional yeast + Turmeric + Salt + Black Pepper
Get the mediterranean vibe in there: Artichokes + Kalamata olives + Tomatoes + Baby spinach
Boost the flavor: Garlic + Lemon juice + Fresh basil
How to make the tofu filling:
Everything goes in the pan!
Start by cooking the onions in some olive oil and then add the spices to roast them a bit. You want the olive oil and black pepper to be combined with the turmeric in the early step of cooking, which will help the absorption of this healthy spice. Then, just pat dry the tofu with paper towels and crumble it with your hands in chunks to the pan. Then, come the artichokes, olives, tomatoes and garlic. The juice from the tomatoes will come out to help all the flavors combine together. If the mixture feels too dry, then add a little bit of water, 2 tbsp at the time, and let it reduce so the mixture does not get too moist. The final touch is the spinach, fresh basil and lemon juice. Let cook until the spinach is wilted and you reached the consistency you want. Et voilà!
The best way to eat tofu scramble:
Roll it up! Yes, tofu scramble burrito is such a delicious way to devore that meal. Simply add the tofu scramble mixture to a large tortilla (burrito size) and roll. You can also add anything you want to it, like sliced avocado or crunchy lettuce. Try with dried red pepper flakes to get a spicy kick.
If you feel like being more traditional, just forget about the burrito and serve the mediterranean mixture on a plate with crusty bread and roasted potatoes. Yum!
Feeling like a roll, but not that much in a Mediterranean mood? Then check out these Cucumber nori rolls for an asian version with a easy home-made tofu spread!
Oh! and don’t forget to follow me on instagram and subscribe to my newsletter to be sure not to miss any updates!
Mediterranean tofu scramble burrito
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp grounded turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper to taste
- 454g. firm tofu patted dry
- 1/3 cup kalamata olive pitted and roughly chopped
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes (about 10-15) quatered
- 14 oz canned artichoke drained and roughly chopped
- 2 clove of garlic crushed
- 2 large handful of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- Half lemon juiced
- 3 large tortillas (burrito size)
- Start by cooking the onions in a large pan over medium heat in a little bit of olive oil until there are cook through and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Then, add the spices (turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper), mix well and cook for about 30 more seconds.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands in the pan in bite size chunks. Then, add the kalamata olives, tomatoes, artichokes and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Finish making the tofu scramble by adding the basil, spinach and lemon juice and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the spinach leaves are wilted.
- Lay a large tortilla on a cutting board and add about a third of the scramble tofu mixture in the first bottom half. If desired, also add sliced avocado, lettuce, red pepper flakes, etc. Then, fold the 2 sides on top of the filling and then roll. (See the blog for visual explanation)