If you are a coffee lover, then this healthy mocha chia pudding will soon become a favorite. Use your leftover brewed coffee and make this guilt-free sweet treat using simple and nutritious ingredients.
In my quest to be healthier and more mindful of my decisions towards my diet, I have tried so many times to cut down on my caffein intake. But this would only make me crave a simple cup of warm coffee even more.
It seems like there is always a very good reason why coffee is essential to my day: intense studying in university in the old days or currently having sleepless nights (thanks to our children) or really, just because coffee is so darn delicious!
So here I am, facing once more my addiction for caffein and sharing one of my biggest weaknesses with all of you as I am writing this blog post.
But I have to say. This recipe is a very special one because it combines two of my favorite things: coffee AND chocolate! Can it get better than this?
Yes it can! Not only is it extra delicious, but this decadent tapioca-like pudding is super healthy, thanks to the nutritious chia seeds.
Chia seeds: what you need to know
I'm sure you won't learn the existence of chia seeds from me! But, we need to give these amazing tiny seeds all the attention they deserve, so that's why I wanted to share a few basics:
- What are they: Chia is the edible seed from the flower of a plant (Salvia hispanica) that shares the same family with mint. We believe chia originated from Central America where this plant grows well in desert conditions. The chia seeds we consume today are cultivated in many places, like Mexico, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and even the United States.
- Health benefits: We have a lot to gain from consuming chia seeds on a regular basis. I mean, a while back, the Aztecs and Mayans warriors were consuming chia seeds as a staple food to give them more strength before a fight!
They are tiny, but they contain an impressive amount of healthy omega-3 fat, fiber, protein, anti-oxidants and so much more. They can help you feel full longer, give you more energy and can even assist you if trying to lose weight. If you want to get more information about their health benefits, then this article: "11 Proven Health Benefits of Chia Seeds", is a good place to start!
- How to eat chia seeds: If you have never used chia seeds before, prepare yourself to be amazed! Chia seeds can absorb liquid up to 10-12 times their weight, which can have many useful applications in the kitchen: use them whole and you can make healthy puddings by soaking the seeds for a few hours or grind them to help thicken mixtures or replace eggs in vegan baking.
If you are hungry for more detailed information about Chia seeds, I recommend you to read this great Chia seeds Health benefits and uses article.
How to make this Healthy Mocha chia pudding
This recipe is very simple and perfect for guilt free desserts, on-the-go snacks, overnight breakfasts or meal prep on the weekend.
Simply combine everything together in a jar and mix well. No cooking required! But once mixed, you will have to let the mixture sit in the fridge for a few hours to reach that thicker pudding texture.
Modifications possible to the recipe
- If you are not a fan of tapioca-like textures, you can blend all the ingredients until smooth, and then let it sit in the fridge until ready. Or have a look at this 3 ingredient chocolate pudding!
- If you need to watch your caffein consumption, then I recommend you use decaf.
- I love a stronger coffee taste for this pudding, but you can adjust the recipe to your preference as long as you keep a total of 1 cup for the liquid portion (you can change the ratio of non-dairy milk vs coffee as you wish).
- If you want this dessert to be even more decadent, you can use canned coconut milk as the non dairy milk.
How to serve this Healthy Mocha chia pudding
This pudding is even better when garnished with:
- Vegan whipped cream or Coconut yogurt
- Fresh fruits, especially raspberries, pomegranate seeds or strawberries
- Chocolate chips or shaved dark chocolate
- Shredded coconut or Nuts
More chia seeds recipes
- Basics to overnight oats
- Cherry marmalade
- Coconut pineapple chia parfait
- Cherry energy balls
- Chia seed tea
I hope you will love this chia seed pudding as much as we do! If you try it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it was.
Healthy Mocha chia pudding
- ½ cup brewed coffee - cooled down
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- ½ tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup - or to taste
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- vegan whipped cream - optional
- dark chocolate - grated, optional
- Combine the coffee, non-dairy milk, raw cacao powder, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Then, add the chia seeds and mix very well. Make sure there are no chia seed clumps by whisking.
- Store in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, then whisk again (the chia seeds tend to sink at the bottom at first) and put back in the fridge for at least 2 hours. The pudding will get thicker as it rests.
- After the resting time, mix well and taste. Adjust the amount of maple syrup and cacao powder, if desired, and mix again.
- To serve, separate the pudding within 2 bowls and top with whipped cream and grated dark chocolate, if you would like. This pudding is also delicious garnished with fresh fruits, nuts or shredded coconut.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.