These chickpea flour pancakes are the best vegan mini bites you will ever have! The fluffy pancakes are made with chickpea flour and then layered with a quick creamy sauce and a sweet & savory mushrooms mixture. So good!
These mini pancakes are not your usual American style pancakes. On top of being mini (I just cannot get over how cute they are!), they are also deliciously savory and infused with Asian flavors. Because you know, pancakes are not only for breakfast, right?
And if you know my husband, then you know how pancakes are a crucial part of our lives, any time of the day. I mean, this is the first "meal" he cooked for me. The French Canadian girl that could count on one hand how many times she had pancakes. Just like that, he served me sugary white pancakes in the middle of the day. With bacon. How far have we come!
So here I am, challenging the pancake-passionate husband I married with these fancy looking (but super easy I promise!) savory mini pancakes. He, of course, argued that they technically are not pancakes as he was popping one after the other one in his mouth. But seeing what was left on the plate confirmed how easily they passed the test!
What is chickpea flour
Chickpea flour makes for a great choice in the kitchen for so many reasons! It's high in protein, gluten-free and so versatile on top of having a delicious nutty flavor. Chickpea flour has some major binding effect when cooking with it, which makes almost anything hold well together. Even without using eggs! You can then use it to make all sorts of vegan omelettes, pancakes, fritters, tortillas, muffins, and so much more.
If you still need more reason to convince you on all of the superpowers of chickpea flour, then I recommend you to plunge in this article named "Why you should buy a bag of chickpea flour".
How to make these chickpea flour pancakes
The mini savory pancakes are built with 3 layers:
- The base: you will need cooked rice noodles (or mung bean) to make them. Once cooked, roughly chop the noodles and combine them with chickpea flour and water.
The idea of combining rice noodles with chickpea flour was first brought to me a while ago by Jenny Mustard's noodle bundles recipe. She used the chickpea flour as a binding agent to help noodles hold together to wrap vegetables, how smart is that? (you should check out her recipe, the bundles are so good!)
Keeping the same idea of using chickpea flour to bind noodles together, in this case, you will make pancakes. The pancakes have lots of texture from the noodles and you can simply cook the batter the same way you cook regular pancakes, but in a mini shape.
- The sauce: the sauce is simply a mix of vegan mayo with soy sauce, garlic and green onion. If you are looking for a mayo-free recipe, then swap the mayo for non dairy plain yogurt.
- The mushroom topping: cooking shiitake mushrooms with sesame oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce and sesame seeds will create a saucy and savory garnish that complement so well with the other layers.
Then, when ready to eat: spread the mayo mixture on the mini pancakes and add a good dollop of the mushroom concoction. So delicious!
Can I prepare these pancakes ahead
Keep the layering until ready to eat, but the mayo sauce, pancakes and mushrooms topping can be made ahead and stored in the fridge separately. Slightly warm the pancakes and mushrooms before layering.
Can I use a different type of flour
I do not recommend it. The binding capacity specific to the chickpea flour is essential when making the pancakes.
Are these chickpea flour pancakes gluten-free?
You can make these gluten-free by using gluten-free tamari instead of soy sauce and making sure you use gluten-free thin noodles.
Other mushroom recipes you might like
- Vegan stuffed mushrooms
- Mushroom and corn stroganoff
- Vegan portobello poke bowl
- Vegan white sauce pasta with mushrooms
- Spicy garlic noodles
- Miso ramen soup
- Vegan lasagna roll-ups
I hope you will love these mini savory pancakes as much as we do! If you try them, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how they were.
And let's stay in touch with Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Also, don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to be sure not to miss any updates!
Chickpea flour pancakes with sesame mushrooms
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup vegan mayo or non dairy plain yogurt
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp chives or green onion - finely chopped, plus more for serving
For the chickpea pancakes:
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup cooked thin rice or mung bean noodles
For the mushroom topping:
- 7 oz shitake mushrooms (or regular) - thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seeds - plus more for serving
- Start by cooking the thin noodles according to the packaging
Prepare the sauce:
- Combine the vegan mayo, soy sauce and chives in a small bowl and set aside.
Make the pancakes:
- Roughly cut the cooked noodles in about 1-2 inches pieces.
- Mix together the chickpea flour and the water in a medium bowl. Add the cut noodles and combine.
- In a large anti adhesive pan, cook the batter just like you cook regular pancakes. Use about 1 to 1 ½ tbsp of the pancake-noodle mix to make each pancakes and press on the batter a little so it's about the thickness of regular pancakes. Cook for about 2 minutes of each side or until cooked through and slightly browned. Set the cooked pancakes aside on a plate and repeat until you used all the pancake mix.
Make the mushroom topping:
- Warm a large pan on medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil (optional), then add the mushrooms. Cook them for about 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, make the sesame mix: in a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup and soy sauce.
- When the mushrooms are cooked, add the sesame mix to the mushroom directly in the pan and stir. Cook for a minute or two until the sauce has thickened, then remove from the heat.
- Add the sesame seeds, stir and set aside in a medium bowl until ready to build the pancakes.
Build the pancakes:
- On top of each cooked pancakes, spread a small layer of the mayonnaise sauce, then add a few mushrooms slices on top.
- Top the pancakes with more sesame seeds and chopped chives, if desired.
- Enjoy while still warm.